Is sendmail safe for SMTP?

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Thu Apr 17 23:21:00 IST 2008

Michael St. Laurent wrote:
> I've been using an SMTP proxy for years now but have been having
> problems with it lately.  So I am wondering if it is safe to let
> Sendmail talk SMTP to the outside world these days or if that is still
> considered a Bad Idea(tm).

Sendmail is the most widely used MTA on the internet (>60%), when
vulnerabilities have been discovered in the past they were fixed very
quickly.
Not sure where you get the concept "  *Still* a bad idea", its the MTA
of choice in my book and has been for over 10 years and facing it on the
internet correctly configured has never been a bad idea...

Sendmail is over 25 years old and is still the number 1, its the most
configurable and provides the best functionality....

A lot of sys admins are cautious of it because they don't know how it
works well enough... but its like anything these days once you know how
to use it, its very simple to make it do what you want...

Other good choices include Exim, which scales very well for very very
large enterprises with 100,000's of users.

Regards

Pete

Regards

Pete