Upgrading MailScanner

Daniel Straka dstraka at caspercollege.edu
Thu Apr 17 22:04:13 IST 2008

Im running:
SuSE version = 10.0
sendmail version = 8.13.6
spamassassin version = 3.1.3
MailScanner version = 4.54.6

I'd like to upgrade MailScanner so I can use the watermarking feature which I'm assuming will help with the delivery failures that my users have had to put up with for the last 2 weeks or so.
So, is it pointless to try and upgrade just MailScanner?
Do I even need to upgrade to use watermarking? I don't see the watermarking sections in my config.
If I follow the procedure below from the wiki and I get to the part that says "if everything went fine" and everything did not go fine...WHO CAN HELP ME?
Are there any pitfalls to consider like problems with dependencies?

Upgrade (RPM)
    *      Make a backup copy of your current MailScanner (Linux):
cp -a /etc/MailScanner /etc/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
cp -a /usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/lib/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
cp -a /usr/sbin/MailScanner /usr/sbin/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
    *      Download the latest version
    *      Check the integrity (#9)
    *      untar the archive (tar xzf) X/
    *      cd into the created directory
    *      run the install script (./install)
    *      inspect the output for errors
    *      manage the .rmpnew files                            WHAT'S THIS MEAN?
    *      if everything went fine, run the command

Thanks,

--

Dan Straka
Systems Coordinator