SA installer oddities:

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 18:35:16 IST 2008

Alex Broens wrote:
> Jules
>
> Finsihed the install and BEFORE adding my own stuff to
> /etc/mail/spamassassin I checked the *.pre files for redundant loads:
>
> init.pre
>
> includes:
>
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
>

> v310.pre
>
> includes:
>
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>

> v320.pre
>
> includes:
>
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
>

> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry, already registered
> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF,
> already registered [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL, already registered
>
> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry, already registered
> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF,
> already registered
> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL, already registered
> [13756] dbg: plugin: did not register
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2, already registered
>

> seems to me there a lot of redundant stuff being loaded and reloaded
> and reloaded - not sure at this point what you added and what's
> default (need to take SA source apart and check)
All this registering of plugins is done once when each MailScanner child
starts up. It makes no difference to mail processing speed at all.

> May I suggest you don't modify the .pre files after install and point
> admins to check the stuff being loaded in the 3 .pre files and enable
> whatever specials they may need.
> The standard enabled SA plugins will produce a decent working SA
> withotu any pain.
My ClamAV+SpamAssassin package automatically enables these plugins:
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2

To make sure these get loaded regardless of what version of SpamAssassin
you are using, it writes these into all of v320.pre, v310.pre and
init.pre. Attempting to load them all 3 times probably adds a
millisecond to the startup time of MailScanner, but I really don't care
a hoot about that :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng