New server request

Randal, Phil prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk
Tue Apr 8 15:21:53 IST 2008

We're running CentOS 5.1 64-bit on a couple of 4GB quad-core Dell 2950s
here as our MailScanner boxes.

120K connections to each box every day (100K or so of which are rejected
at the sendmail level).

All messages are both virus scanned (ClamAVModule and McAfee uvscan) and
fed to SpamAssassin.  Images in low-scoring emails are also FuzzyOCR'd.

Local caching DNS, tmpfs, but no compiled SA rules.

MailWatch says there are 16 MailScanner children currently running.

Typical message time is 5 seconds, which, for a batch of 30 emails,
would create a maximum latency of 2 1/2 minutes.

If we reduced DNS timeouts this might improve (our internet feed is
often maxed out with other traffic).

If you want to reduce maximum message delay then you'd need to increase
the number of MailScanner instances and reduce batch sizes.

Hope this helps,

Phil