SA times out

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Apr 4 16:45:59 IST 2008

Glenn Steen wrote on Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:57:21 +0200:

> Sorry if you already supplied this, but what do you have for the
> different SA paths in MailScanner.conf?

Good suggestion. There must have been indeed a bug in that MS version.

# The rules created by the "sa-update" tool are searched for here.
# This directory contains the spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org
# directory structure beneath it.
# Only un-comment this setting once you have proved that the sa-update
# cron job has run successfully and has created a directory structure under
# the spamassassin directory within this one and has put some *.cf files in
# there. Otherwise it will ignore all your current rules!
# The default location may be /var/opt on Solaris systems.
SpamAssassin Local State Dir = /var/lib

A newer MS version has this:

# The rules created by the "sa-update" tool are searched for here.
# This directory contains the 3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org
# directory structure beneath it.
# Only un-comment this setting once you have proved that the sa-update
# cron job has run successfully and has created a directory structure under
# the spamassassin directory within this one and has put some *.cf files in
# there. Otherwise it will ignore all your current rules!
# The default location may be /var/opt on Solaris systems.
SpamAssassin Local State Dir = # /var/lib/spamassassin

It seems the code is the same, but documentation (compare the second line!)
and update_mailscanner_conf where not correct. I changed that line to
SpamAssassin Local State Dir = /var/lib/spamassassin
and it uses now the correct rules.

However, MS still times out. The first time I tried it almost came to an end,
but eventually timed out, anyway. It definitely takes much longer than via
command-line. I then upped the time-out to 240 seconds, but now I hit a new
phenomenon. The message is just removed from mqueue.in and Mailwatch shows
again that it times out. But MailScanner doesn't print anymore (to the log,
it doesn't do this in the debug output) that it hits a timeout. It almost
immediately finishes and doesn't process the message. Could this be the sa
cache of MS? If so, I don't understand why that didn't hit earlier and also I
don't see anything about it in the debug output.

> >  What's wrong here, Jules? Could this be a problem with this somewhat old
> >  version of MS? (4.54.6)
> >
> Might be, there's been a lot of water under the bridge... and all that:-).
> ISTR there being a rather heated discussion back somewhere there on
> how to make MS notice the sa-update stuff, leading to some rather bad
> setups with wrongly specified paths in MailScanner.conf (a modern SA
> should be able to find these things by itself, no need to "help" it...
> mostly:-).

The command-line SA doesn't have this problem. It's the Mail::Spamassassin
perl module. Either it needs these data or it should not get these data as it
can determine them by itself (then they shouldn't be set in MailScanner.conf)
- I don't know.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany