perl with threading enabled: bad?

Ryan Bingham ryanb at aacrao.org
Thu Apr 3 16:53:55 IST 2008

Hi All,

I checked the archives but couldn't find the answer to this question, so
I apologize if it has be previously addressed.

We recently upgraded from MailScanner 4.56.8 to 4.68.8.  Everything went
well and we're not experiencing any problems, but I did have a question
about a comment Julian makes during the install script.  At one point it
says:

*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
*** not recommended for production environments.

We are running perl v5.8.8 on CentOS 5.1 and threading is enabled (we
see "usethreads=define" when we run perl -V).  Is this bad?  Is there a
way to turn it off?

Thanks again and sorry if this has already been discussed.

Cheers!

Ryan
--

Ryan Bingham