New MS install is slow to an extreme

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:11:43 IST 2008

DAve wrote:
> After much plugging away, double checking, triple checking and herding
> of cats I *think* we may out of the woods. I won't know until tomorrow
> AM when traffic picks up again. Here are my findings so far.
>
> MailScanner 4.67.6
> ClamAV 0.92.1
> SpamAssassin 3.2.4
>
> Virus Scanners = [clamav | clamavmodule] - There appears to be no real
> gain in running clamavmodule, some speed increase but not enough to be
> noticed. I have clamavmodule configured just to save some memory.
>
> ClamAV Full Message Scan = yes - That is a killer, it seems to really
> increase processing time. I have it now set to no, and I have removed
> my MSRBL sigs.
>
> Incoming Work Dir = tmpfs (mdmfs in FreeBSD) - Surprisingly little
> difference. I left it on a memory file system for now.
>
> mailscanner.cf -> skip_rbl_checks 1 - Oddly does not do what it
> claims. SA is still doing rbl checks. I commented out the DNSEval
> plugin in v320.pre file and was rewarded with errors for my effort.
> Not certain what the correct method of disabling rbl checks in SA is
> now. Peter Farrow found a message where this has been seen already.
> http://markmail.org/message/xzqi5fmrbj3tfgg2
>
> MailScanner batch size - With version 4.54.6 MS processed 10 messages
> per batch and kept up just fine. With version 4.67.6 it will grab 30+
> messages which takes longer to process. Increasing MS children has no
> effect. More children working slower doesn't process more mail for me.
> I don't see where I can configure this.
"Max Children =" in MailScanner.conf. If you were using
upgrade_MailScanner_conf to upgrade your MailScanner.conf file then this
setting would not have been changed between versions. Do you really copy
over all your settings by hand into the new MailScanner.conf file? Wow!
That must take *hours*.

> I am currently seeing processing times of .8 to 20 seconds per
> message, generally around the 2 to 4 seconds mark. This is for batches
> of 1 to 10 messages. I was seeing as much as 800 seconds for a batch
> size of 30 messages this morning. So there has been improvement.
>
> I am compiling my SA rules and I run my RBLs in the MTA (hence why I
> do not want rbl checking in SA).
>
> Overall, my previous install of MS 4.54.6, Clam .92, and SA 3.1.9
> would run rings around this install. I am seriously contemplating
> rolling back but I am uncertain if I have the original tarball for
> Julian's Clam+SA package.
>
> I believe my issue is configuration of MS or SA at this point. I am
> open to suggestions.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> DAve

Jules