New MS install is slow to an extreme

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Apr 2 21:53:05 IST 2008

Peter Farrow wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> Likely I am going to break threading, but I am reading via the
>> archive, I am far to slow to get the messages.
>>
>>> Check this option in mailscanner.conf
>>> ClamAV Full Message Scan = no
>>
>> Set to no
>>

>>> how do you do the bayes expire?
>>
>> MailScanner, same as all previous installs.
>>

>>> if it's set to yes really slows down de process.
>>>
>>> Do you have /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming on tmpfs?
>>
>> Not at this time, I didn't previously.
>>
>>> Start by
>>>     MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
>>
>> bash-2.05b# ./MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
>> In Debugging mode, not forking...
>> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
>>

>> *****
>> If 'awk' (with support for the function strftime) was
>> available on your $PATH then all the SpamAssassin debug
>> output would have the current time added to the start of
>> every line, making debugging far easier.
>> *****
>>
>> SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
>> [72851] dbg: logger: adding facilities: all
>> [72851] dbg: logger: logging level is DBG
>> [72851] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.2.4
>> [72851] dbg: config: score set 0 chosen.
>> [72851] dbg: dns: no ipv6
>> [72851] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
>> [72851] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.62
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1088.
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1090.
>> [72851] dbg: config: read_scoreonly_config: cannot open "": No such
>> file or directory
>> Building a message batch to scan...
>> Have a batch of 30 messages.
>> Stopping now as you are debugging me.
>>
>>> to see where the holdups are.
>>> Check you haven't got a screwed SpamAssassin cache as well.
>>
>> I removed it an restarted MS, no change.
>>
>>> Which MTA are you using?
>>
>> Sendmail
>>
>> It is worth noting that spamassassin -D --lint runs fine. I checked
>> after I moved all our config over to the new version.
>>
>> Thanks everyone. I'm still looking at what might be wrong.
>>

>> DAve
>>
> I had this issue with the latest version on Centos 4.6.  As I was in a
> hurry at the time I rolled it back to 4.65.3-1 and the problem went away
> just to prove it wasn't any of my Milters or modules causing the
> problem.  I wasn't too bothered as I was upgrading from 4.5x so I still
> got a major upgrade..
>
> I did notice that it wasn't just slow as you describe, it actaully was
> just queing everything, I didn't leave it long enough to verify that
> though as I got 600 messages in the queue quite quickly.
>
> The problem in debug mode was exactly as you describe with it halting at
> "Trying to setlogsock(unix)"

> [...]

I upgeaded the sys::syslog from .18 to .24 with no change. But, during
debug I am getting this and it slows down consierably even with a single
message batch.

rules: failed to run DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS RBL test, skipping:
         (Can't locate object method "check_rbl_envfrom" via package
"Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus" at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Check.pm
line 203.
)

This seems to be the killer. I have no rbl checks configured with SA, so
  I don't understand this.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with