How to deliver quarantined email with exim

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:52:15 IST 2008

On 01/04/2008, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Julian Field wrote:
>  >
>  > Kirk Lowery wrote:
>  >> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Julian Field
>  >> <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>>
>  >>>  Kirk Lowery wrote:
>  >>>  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Julian Field
>  >>>  > <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  >> Move them into /var/spool/exim/input, make sure they have
>  >>> exactly the
>  >>>  >>  same ownership, group and permissions as all the other files in
>  >>> there,
>  >>>  >>  and Exim should pick them up and deliver them.
>  >>>  >>  To hurry the process along, something like
>  >>>  >>  /usr/sbin/exim -C /etc/exit/exit_send.conf -Mc message-id-here
>  >>>  >>  should kick it into making a delivery attempt.
>  >>>  >>
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  > Thanks for your response.
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  > Here's what happened:
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  > delivering 1Jgjhp-0003fH-PS
>  >>>  > LOG: MAIN
>  >>>  >   Spool file 1Jgjhp-0003fH-PS-D not found
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  > Is there something wrong with my conf file?
>  >>>  >
>  >>>  Not if it normally works. See if you can make the outgoing exim do a
>  >>>  complete run of the queue. It should do this periodically anyway,
>  >>> so the
>  >>>  reason it couldn't find the file might be that it has already been
>  >>>  delivered. Has the files (-D and -H) gone since you moved them there?
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >> In the incoming exim queue new messages are coming in. They have the
>  >> "-D" and "-H" suffix added to the message id. When I run "exim -q",
>  >> they are delivered just fine. But the messages from the MailScanner
>  >> quarantine directory do not have two files per message with these
>  >> suffixes. There is only one file with the message id as the file name.
>  >>
>  > You need to look up the "Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files ="
>  > setting in MailScanner.conf. If you want to be able to release
>  > messages by dropping them back into the outgoing queue, this needs to
>  > be set to "yes". I guess yours is "no" right now.
>
> It is currently set to no by default when you install MailScanner the
>  first time.
>  Should I leave it at "no" or change it to "yes"?
>  Discuss.
I see little point in changing it.
There are equally well-functioning methods for releasing a message.
Only real difference is that it would be a bit harder to release to
analternate recipient with "yes", and that you lose the envelope
information with "no". For the latter, use of the logs (text or
MailWatch) is needed, where MailWatch (of course) helps a lot... And
need the setting, if one wants to use the envelope recipient for the
release.
Does it matter much either way? For both, there are gotchas for the
"out-of-the-box" user/admin...:-).
Probably a bit better with things as they are (means I needn't change
that for MW:-):-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn