Installing and Configuring DCC

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Sep 25 00:10:23 IST 2007

Johnny Stork wrote:
> Well I think I am moving along with this fresh MS re-install but I seem
> to be having trouble with DCC. I believe razor2 and pyzor are working
> fine, and I actually followed some of the steps from the url below, but
> I dont think DCC is working or configured correctly.
>
> http://www.leap-cf.org/presentations/MailScanner/MailScanner.html
>

> #### But when I try to start the DCC service I get
>
> [root at gateway bayes]# service DCC start
> start-grey-dccd: cannot start greylist dcccd because dccd has not been
> installed
> start-dccifd: cannot start dccifd because it has not been installed

Normally you don't need to run DCC as a service in order to use it within
SpamAssassin.

That said, if you were going to run it as a service on anything but a very large
network, you'd probably want to run dccifd, but you didn't install that
component of DCC. This isn't really that big a deal, but does shave a few
milliseconds off each DCC check.

If you had a very large network (> 100k  emails a day) you'd use dccd, but
that's getting a bit more advanced. using dccd is usually done for bandwidth
reasons. Floods are large, but above 100k emails/day the total bandwidth used by
all the queries is larger than the floods.

> #####I have also opened outoing/incoming udp ports 6277
>
> ######cddd info returms the following:
>

> [root at gateway bayes]# cdcc info
> # 09/24/07 15:18:53 PDT  /var/dcc/map
> # Re-resolve names after 16:53:54 # 12 total, 0 working servers
> # skipping asking DCC server 974 seconds more
> IPv6 off
>
> dcc1.dcc-servers.net,-      RTT+1000 ms  anon
> #  136.161.101.6,-                                #      not answering
> #  209.169.14.29,-                                #      not answering
> #  209.169.14.30,-                                #      not answering

Are you sure you opened udp 6277?

Does running cdcc RTT as root (which forces a retest of all the servers, where
info does not) show anything different?