Second AV Scanner Suggestions

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 24 21:11:15 IST 2007

Julian Field spake the following on 9/24/2007 12:20 PM:
> In which case, please try this:
> 1) In /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf, set this
> bitdefender /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper
> /opt/BitDefender-scanner/bin
> 2) In /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper, change this line (around
> line 33)
> prog=bdc
> to this
> prog=bdscan
>
> Please give this a go and let me know if it works.
>
> Also, please try this for the bitdefender-autoupdate:
> 1) Change this line (around line 132)
> my $bitDefBinary = "bdc";
> to this
> my $bitDefBinary = "bdscan";
> 2) Run update_virus_scanners
>
> Check the contents of /var/log/bitdefender_updater.log to see if it
> worked or not.
>
> If someone can send me a fully-licensed version of BitDefender I'll try
> to get all this stuff working for you. Does the widely-used free version
> require these changes as well as the new one? Will I break everyone's
> bitdefender-based systems if I change this?
>
> Otherwise I'll try to make it work with the old setup and the new one at
> the same time.
>
> Jules.
>
> Johnny Stork wrote:
>> Thanks Julian. Below is my lint test and it appears that the
>> bitdefender scanner is not found. I downloaded and installed BD from
>> "BitDefender-scanner-7.5-4.linux-gcc3x.i586.rpm.run" and seems to put
>> the scanner here.
>>
>> [root at gateway MailScanner]# whereis bdscan
>> bdscan: /usr/bin/bdscan /opt/BitDefender-scanner/bin/bdscan
>>

>> So I updated virus.scanners.conf. to show
>>
>> "bitdefender    /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper
>> /opt/BitDefender-scanner"
>>

>> Mailscanner Lint Test:
>>
>> [root at gateway MailScanner]# MailScanner --lint
>> Checking version numbers...
>> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.63.8) is correct.
>>
>> Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
>>
>> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
>> SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
>> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
>> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamd bitdefender"
>> Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule
>>
>> Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
>> format error: can't find EOCD signature
>> at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 458
>> cat: /tmp/log.bdc.351: No such file or directory
>> rm: cannot remove `/tmp/log.bdc.351': No such file or directory
>>

>> If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule)
>> are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
>> and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its
>> virus.scanners.conf.
>>

>> Julian Field wrote:
>>> My personal preferences are for f-prot and sophos, as I always run 3
>>> to be on the safe side. But they do cost money. But there again, the
>>> total solution is still much, much cheaper than paying someone like
> [...]
I am not sure of the implications of passing on the old free version to those
who asked. Any comments?
It was originally freeware, but not open sourced. Would it be any different
than places like softpedia?
I wouldn't want to be liable for any possible lawsuits for distributing
something that was free, but is now removed by the original manufacturer.

But I found the original "rpm" version on a google.

http://files.filefront.com/BitDefender+Linux+Edition+v713+RPM/;5012841;/fileinfo.html

and the generic .run file

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/BitDefender-Console-Antivirus-7.1-3.linux-gcc3x.i386.run

Google is your friend!!