Second AV Scanner Suggestions

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:17:28 IST 2007

On 24/09/2007, Johnny Stork <stork at openenterprise.ca> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone that has responded. I went with BitDefender.
>
> Now how can I confirm it is actually being used? I updated "Virus
> Scanners = clamd bitdefender" but how do I know its being used?

MailScanner --lint
... if you have a reasonably fresh install of MS, that will do a test
run with EICAR for all your defined scanners.

If I'd choose anything extra ATM, I would be a bit ... hesitant...
about BitDefender. It is a tad "fat" on resources. It does do a good
job (I've been happy with BDC, ClamAV and McAfee (which we have "for
free" by way of our site license), each has taken turn in "getting at
the bad stuff", don't get me wrong), but ... the new version needs
support (I've been away for a while, haven't checked the latest beta
of MS... might be there:) in MS... It installs to a new location and
has renamed the scanner from bdc to bdscanner... and maybe more...
I'd look elsewhere... f-prot, f-secure ... there are a lot of scanners
out there that do an OK job.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn