Second AV Scanner Suggestions

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 19:03:59 IST 2007

My personal preferences are for f-prot and sophos, as I always run 3 to
be on the safe side. But they do cost money. But there again, the total
solution is still much, much cheaper than paying someone like
MessageLabs or Ironport for their solutions to the problem.

Once you have installed other scanners, be sure to
    MailScanner --lint
to be sure your scanners are all being called successfully. You should
get a report from each of your installed scanners.

My supplied virus.scanners.conf file is set ready for each of the virus
scanners if you install them to their default location, as dictated by
their own installers. If you install them elsewhere, you will need to
tweak your /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf. The output of
"MailScanner --lint" will clearly show you if you have the settings correct.

You should *not* edit the -wrapper or -autoupdate scripts, the only
changes needed are in virus.scanners.conf.

Jules.

Johnny Stork wrote:
> I just went through a clean re-install of MS/SA etc and thought I
> might like to add a second scanner beyond clamav. What would most
> people suggest for a second av engine, maybe amavisd?. Are there any
> tips/howtos on setting up some of these other engines?
>

> --
> *Johnny Stork*
> Business & Technology Consultant
> stork at openenterprise.ca