One user whitelisted, everyone gets the spam...

mailscanner at herald.co.uk mailscanner at herald.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 14:10:12 IST 2007

Hi folks,

MailScanner 4.60.8 using ClamAV...

For various long and dull reasons, we have a single user whose mail is
not filtered by MailScanner; this is done by a "deliver" rule in a
ruleset attached to Spam Actions.

Annoyingly (to the other users...) this is causing spam to leak through
to them, if mail's sent to a bunch of people including this user (where
a "bunch" is fewer than 20, that being what "Ignore Spam Whitelist If
Recipients Exceed" is currently set to). The worst example I've seen so
far is a spam scoring 165 getting through... our usual "delete"
threshold is 12.

I thought about reducing the "Ignore Spam Whitelist" setting, but we do
legitimately get emails in addressed to more users than these spams have
been (12 - 15 users; the spams have been addressed to around 8 or so)

Is there a relatively straightforward way of stopping this user's
settings from affecting anyone else? (Politics sadly dictates that
insisting on filtering his mail in the same way as everyone else's is
not a viable way forward.)

Thanks

Mel