New MailScanner Features

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 21 00:25:00 IST 2007

Jay Chandler wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Jay Chandler spake the following on 9/20/2007 2:42 PM:
>>> The new version of MailScanner has a few nifty features that I
>>> like-- particularly the watermarking.
>>>

>>> The issue I'm having is in getting the phishing bad list updated via
>>> cron.  I build Mailscanner from the FreeBSD ports tree, and until
>>> today didn't realize there were cron scripts living in
>>> /usr/local/libexec that did useful things, like updating the virus
>>> scanners.
>>>
>>> I don't see a script in there for updating the bad list, nor can I
>>> find a reference to one anywhere.  Has this just not been written
>>> yet, or did the port maintainer miss something?
>>>
>> There should be something like update_phishing_sites called from cron
>> every day. Maybe the maintainer hasn't added the cron scripts yet.
>>

> Yeah, it's there, but it's solely targeting the whitelist, not the
> blacklist.
>
> Does someone have a copy of an update script that does what it's
> supposed to do that I can beat together, then submit as a patch?
>
> I'm rather surprised that the cron files aren't referenced in any of
> the installation procedure on FreeBSD-- I've been running MailScanner
> for almost a year now, and just discovered this aspect of things!
There should be an hourly cron job running update_bad_phishing_sites.
The guts of that script (minus all the copyright statements and the
like) is below.

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw/bin
export PATH

if [ -d /etc/MailScanner ]; then
    cd /etc/MailScanner
else
    logger -p mail.warn -t update.bad.phishing.sites Cannot find
MailScanner configuration directory, update failed.
    echo Cannot find MailScanner configuration directory.
    echo Auto-updates of phishing.bad.sites.conf will not happen.
    exit 1
fi

wget http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf.master || \
curl -O http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf.master || \
( logger -p mail.warn -t update.phishing.sites Cannot find wget or curl,
update failed. ; echo Cannot find wget or curl to do phishing bad sites
update. ; exit 1 )

if [ -s phishing.bad.sites.conf.master ]; then
    cp -f phishing.bad.sites.conf phishing.bad.sites.conf.old
    mv -f phishing.bad.sites.conf.master phishing.bad.sites.conf
    chmod a+r phishing.bad.sites.conf
    logger -p mail.info -t update.bad.phishing.sites Phishing bad sites
list updated
else
    logger -p mail.info -t update.bad.phishing.sites Phishing bad sites
list update failed!
fi
rm -f phishing.bad.sites.conf.master

exit 0