New MailScanner Features

Jay Chandler lists at sequestered.net
Thu Sep 20 23:29:13 IST 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Jay Chandler spake the following on 9/20/2007 2:42 PM:
>> The new version of MailScanner has a few nifty features that I like--
>> particularly the watermarking.
>>

>> The issue I'm having is in getting the phishing bad list updated via
>> cron.  I build Mailscanner from the FreeBSD ports tree, and until
>> today didn't realize there were cron scripts living in
>> /usr/local/libexec that did useful things, like updating the virus
>> scanners.
>>
>> I don't see a script in there for updating the bad list, nor can I
>> find a reference to one anywhere.  Has this just not been written yet,
>> or did the port maintainer miss something?
>>
> There should be something like update_phishing_sites called from cron
> every day. Maybe the maintainer hasn't added the cron scripts yet.

Yeah, it's there, but it's solely targeting the whitelist, not the
blacklist.

Does someone have a copy of an update script that does what it's
supposed to do that I can beat together, then submit as a patch?

I'm rather surprised that the cron files aren't referenced in any of the
installation procedure on FreeBSD-- I've been running MailScanner for
almost a year now, and just discovered this aspect of things!

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist