Any rule for this type of spam

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Thu Sep 20 16:49:54 IST 2007

Gareth wrote:
> Does anyone have a rule or a suggestion for this type of spam email. Its
> the only one which occasionally makes it past our spam checks.

> Subject:
> +.).:[ +.-(:[[()+ +.*)+.)

For what it's worth, I've got a couple rules I wrote that will detect this kind
of "garbage subject".

However, they're not well tested, so I'd advise not cranking up the scores until
you're sure they don't cause problems.

L_SUBJ_15NONWORDS might FP on some emails with a lot of !'s in them, but 15 in a
row is a LOT.

L_SUBJ_NOWORDS might FP on emails with stupid subject lines that real people
occasionally use, such as "...", so I'd be more careful with this one.

header L_SUBJ_15NONWORDS       Subject =~/\W{15}/
describe L_SUBJ_15NONWORDS	Subject has 15 consecutive non-word characters
score L_SUBJ_15NONWORDS        0.5

header __L_SUBJ_NOWORDS        Subject !~ /[a-zA-Z0-9]/
header __L_SUBJ_NONEMPTY       Subject =~ /./
meta L_SUBJ_NOWORDS    (__L_SUBJ_NOWORDS && __L_SUBJ_NONEMPTY)
describe L_SUBJ_NOWORDS	Subject has no word chars and is nonempty
score L_SUBJ_NOWORDS   0.5