MailScanner.conf and spam.assassin.prefs.conf consistency

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 19 09:09:52 IST 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> David Lee wrote:
> [...]
> > I realise that SA needs to see the fully expanded form (thus different at
> > every "org"), but could the sys.admin's version (default common across all
> > "org"s) read "X-%org-name%-...", which MS/SA/something expand up for SA?
> >
> > Just a thought.
> >
> The only thing I could do would be to parse the file and generate a new
> one, but this would need to be put in /etc/mail/spamassassin, and it's
> rather a cardinal sin to overwrite anything in /etc, stuff like that
> should be in /var. But I'm not sure how to tell SpamAssassin to add
> somewhere under /var to the list of directories it reads for admin-level
> settings.

Thanks for the reply.

[ Reminder:  What I'm thinking of is along the lines of the MS package
delivering a master, default "source" file containing "X-%org-name%..."
then some procedure generating and maintaining the SA "production" file
with those "%...%" variables expanded. ]

There is decent precedent for source and production variants both to be
alongside each other under "/etc";  namely sendmail's "aliases" and
"aliases.db" (and other similar ".db"  derivative files).

The maintenance procedure might then be something (for instance) in MS's
periodic reload machinery.

More "blue sky" (day-dreaming):  Might there be other MS/SA-related files
that could benefit from such a "%...%" expansion mechanism?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :