OT: Rbldnsd and Spamhaus setup

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Tue Sep 18 17:26:45 IST 2007

I'm configuring my servers to use Spamhaus datafeed service and I'm not
convinced that MailScanner is using Rbldnsd as I still see queries to
zen.spamhaus.org in the data queries log file.

I though perhaps the queries might have been from spamassassin, so I set
"skip_rbl_checks 1" in the mailscanner.cf and restarted MailScanner.  I
still had DNS queries appearing in the bind log file.

I need another set of eyes to look at this config and tell me what I'm
missing.

Running: Centos 5.0, MailScanner v4.62.9

/etc/sysconfig/rbldnsd:
# the first line tells rbldnsd to
# chroot (-r) to /usr/local/dnsbl, and
# then bind (-b) to 127.0.0.6 and
# then (-f) fork child during reloads and
# then (-w) specify the working directory where rbldnsd will find its
files,
RBLDNSD="dnsbl -r /usr/local/dnsbl -b 127.0.0.6 -f -w rbldnsd \
  sbl.dnsbl:ip4set:sbl  \
  pbl.dnsbl:ip4trie:pbl \
  xbl.dnsbl:ip4tset:xbl \
  zen.dnsbl:ip4set:sbl  \
  zen.dnsbl:ip4trie:pbl \
  zen.dnsbl:ip4tset:xbl
"
# eof

/etc/named.conf:
zone "dnsbl" IN {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders { 127.0.0.6; };
};

/etc/MailScanner/spam.lists.conf:
spamhaus-ZEN-local              dnsbl.  <=== trailing period

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf:
Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN-local

service rbldnsd restart
MailScanner --lint > show ok