Spam Free "Archive Mail"

Rodney Green rgreen at trayerproducts.com
Mon Sep 17 19:57:38 IST 2007

On 9/10/07, Graham S. Jarvis <gsjarvis at infoservers.net> wrote:

>  Hello All,
>
> I have tried to google the list for help on how to get the spam out of
> the "Archive Mail" files.
> The only thing I could find was:
> (http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-March/059056.html)
> but DrewB doesn't seem to be around any more.

The way I've been collecting spam/virus free archives is to use the
aliases mapping. I set up mail to be delivered to a specific user,
i.e. "jdoe" in the aliases file (/etc/aliases) to both deliver to the
user's mailbox file and a separate archive file.

In /etc/aliases:

jdoe:        jdoe,/var/archive/jdoe.mbx

This delivers spam/virus clean messages to both the user's account and
the archive file at /var/archive/jdoe.mbx. This takes care of incoming
e-mail.

As for e-mail being sent by the user, I use the MailScanner archive
rules. So in archive.rules I would have the following:

FromOrTo:      default      no
From:   jdoe at domain.com               /var/archive/jdoe.mbx

This appends the outgoing mail sent by "jdoe" to the same archive file
that the aliases file
appends messages to.

This is just the way I do it. It seems to work fine for me. I imagine
some others will have input as to potential problems with this method
though. :-)

Rod