Incoming dir size?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:10:31 IST 2007

On 14/09/2007, Gottschalk, David <dgottsc at emory.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I recently set my /mailscanner/incoming directory to be mounted in
> memory. One thing I didn't think about before I allocated size is what if a
> email comes in that is bigger than this filesystem size in memory?
> Currently, I have 512mb mounted in memory. The size of data on it right now
> is very small, but I'm afraid it could cause problems if someone sent a
> massive file (had someone recently send a 1.4gig file via email, no, I'm not
> joking, it got quarantined though cause it was over max size allowed). I
> can't find any information on this, so any input would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks!

I imagine things would literally go to hell in a hurry.
When sizing, limit what your MTA will accept to something reasonable,
take that size and multiply by batch-size and max children... You
might be able to get away with less, since most mails aren't even
close to 10 MiB, but ... that is if you need be really really sure;).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn