Can folders and files inside /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming be deleted??

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Sep 13 19:19:08 IST 2007

vinayan KP spake the following on 9/13/2007 1:15 AM:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am very new to MailScanner and I hope someone could help me to fix
> my problem of mailscanner eating up my hard disk space?
>
> I just found out that /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming folder has lot
> of folders and one of them occupies a lot of space.  I just want to
> know whether I can remover these folders and files that take lot of
> space?
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Vinu
Most of us run that folder in tmpfs to increase speed.
With MailScanner stopped, you should be able to delete any folders that are
numbered.

To run that folder in tmpfs add the following line to your /etc/fstab

none /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming tmpfs defaults 0 0

That way the folder will run faster, and will be cleaned up during a reboot.
But only add this if your system has a sufficient amount of memory. Somewhere
near 1 GB per processor.
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and