Add 2nd antivirus scanner

Brent Addis brent.addis at pronet.co.nz
Thu Sep 13 05:11:07 IST 2007

________________________________

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info on behalf of Scott Silva
Sent: Thu 13/09/2007 11:33 a.m.
To: mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info
Subject: Re: Add 2nd antivirus scanner

Brent Addis spake the following on 9/12/2007 4:20 PM:

> ________________________________

But the included license said free for any use AFAIR. I will have to look at
the license in my archived copy.

-----

I'm looking at the license from when I was running it, and I don't see that anywhere. I also however don't see any mention of it being for a workstation only, however it may be assumed that you know that by reading what (was) on the website. I'm no lawyer so I don't know how that would apply in the grand scheme of things.

Excuse the large pasting:

               BitDefender for Linux Console Free Edition

                          License and Warranty

                                              Copyright (C) 2005 SOFTWIN

  IF  YOU  DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS DO NOT INSTALL THE
  SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE  IN  ANY  WAY,  YOU  ARE
  INDICATING  YOUR COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS OF
  THIS AGREEMENT.

  This License Agreement is a legal agreement  between  you  (either  an
  individual or a single entity end user) and SOFTWIN SRL for use of the
  SOFTWIN software product identified  above,  which  includes  computer
  software  and  may  include  associated  media, printed materials, and
  "online" or electronic documentation ("BitDefender"), all of which are
  protected  by  U.S. and international copyright laws and international
  treaty protection. By installing,  copying,  or  otherwise  using  the
  BitDefender,  you agree to be bound by the terms of this agreement. If
  you do not agree to the terms of this agreement, do not install or use
  the BitDefender; you may, however, return it to your place of purchase
  for a full refund within 30 days after your purchase. Verification  of
  your purchase may be required.

  BitDefender LICENSE

  BitDefender is protected by copyright laws and international copyright
  treaties, as well as other intellectual property  laws  and  treaties.
  The BitDefender is licensed, not sold.

  GRANT  OF LICENSE. SOFTWIN SRL hereby grants you and only you the fol-
  lowing non-exclusive license to use BitDefender:

  APPLICATION SOFTWARE.  You  may  install  and  use  one  copy  of  the
  BitDefender,  or any prior version for the same operating system, on a
  single computer terminal. The primary user of the  computer  on  which
  the  BitDefender  is  installed  may make one additional (i.e. second)
  copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer.

  NETWORK USE. You may also store or install a copy of  the  BitDefender
  on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or
  run the BitDefender on your other computers over an internal  network;
  however,  you  must  purchase and dedicate a separate license for each
  separate computer terminal on which the BitDefender  is  installed  or
  run  from the storage device. A license for the BitDefender may not be
  shared or used concurrently on different computers or computer  termi-
  nals.  You  should  purchase  a  license  pack if you require multiple
  licenses for use on multiple computers or computer terminals.

  LICENSE PACKS. If you purchase a License Pack and  you  have  acquired
  this  License  Agreement for multiple licenses of BitDefender, you may
  make the number of additional copies of the computer software  portion
  of  the BitDefender specified above as "Licensed copies." You are also
  entitled to make a corresponding number of secondary copies for porta-
  ble  computer use as specified above in the section entitled "Applica-
  tion Software".

TERM OF LICENSE. The license granted hereunder shall commence  on  the
  date  that  you  install,  copy or otherwise first use BitDefender and
  shall  continue  only  on  the  computer  on  which  it  is  initially
  installed.

  UPGRADES.  If  the  BitDefender  is labeled as an upgrade, you must be
  properly licensed to use a product identified by SOFTWIN as being eli-
  gible  for the upgrade in order to use the BitDefender. An BitDefender
  labeled as an upgrade replaces and/or  supplements  the  product  that
  formed the basis for your eligibility for the upgrade. You may use the
  resulting upgraded product only in accordance with the terms  of  this
  License  Agreement. If the BitDefender is an upgrade of a component of
  a package of software programs that you licensed as a single  product,
  the  BitDefender may be used and transferred only as part of that sin-
  gle product package and may not be separated for use on more than  one
  computer.

  COPYRIGHT. All right, title and interest in and to BitDefender and all
  copyright rights in and to the BitDefender (including but not  limited
  to  any  images,  photographs, logos, animations, video, audio, music,
  text, and "applets" incorporated into the BitDefender), the accompany-
  ing  printed materials, and any copies of the BitDefender are owned by
  SOFTWIN SRL. The BitDefender is protected by copyright laws and inter-
  national  treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the BitDefender
  like any other copyrighted material except that you  may  install  the
  BitDefender on a single computer provided you keep the original solely
  for backup or archival purposes. You may not copy the printed  materi-
  als  accompanying  the  BitDefender.  You must produce and include all
  copyright notices in their original form for all copies created  irre-
  spective of the media or form in which BitDefender exists. You may not
  sub-license, rent, sell, or lease BitDefender.  You  may  not  reverse
  engineer,  recompile,  disassemble,  create  derivative works, modify,
  translate, or make  any  attempt  to  discover  the  source  code  for
  BitDefender.

  LIMITED  WARRANTY.  SOFTWIN  SRL  warrants  that  the  media  on which
  BitDefender is distributed is free from defects for a period of thirty
  days from the date of delivery of BitDefender to you. Your sole remedy
  for a breach of this warranty will be that SOFTWIN SRL, at its option,
  may  replace the defective media upon receipt of the damaged media, or
  refund the money you paid for BitDefender. SOFTWIN SRL does  not  war-
  rant  that BitDefender will be uninterrupted or error free or that the
  errors  will  be  corrected.  SOFTWIN  SRL  does  not   warrant   that
  BitDefender  will meet your requirements. SOFTWIN SRL HEREBY DISCLAIMS
  ALL OTHER WARRANTIES FOR BITDEFENDER, WHETHER  EXPRESSED  OR  IMPLIED.
  THE  ABOVE  WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES,
  WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MER-
  CHANTABILITY,  FITNESS  FOR  A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
  THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL  RIGHTS.  YOU  MAY  HAVE  OTHER
  RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

  DISCLAIMER   OF   DAMAGES.   Anyone   using,  testing,  or  evaluating
  BitDefender  bears  all  risk  to  the  quality  and  performance   of
  BitDefender.  In  no event shall SOFTWIN SRL be liable for any damages
  of any kind, including, without limitation, direct or indirect damages
  arising  out of the use, performance, or delivery of BitDefender, even
  if SOFTWIN SRL has been advised of the  existence  or  possibility  of
  such  damages. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF
  LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE  LIMI-TATION  OR  EXCLUSION  MAY  NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN NO CASE SHALL SOFTWIN
  SRL'S LIABILITY EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE PAID BY YOU FOR BITDEFENDER.
  The  disclaimers and limitations set forth above will apply regardless
  of whether you accept or use, evaluate, or test BitDefender.

  IMPORTANT NOTICE TO USERS. THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT FAULT-TOLERANT AND  IS
  NOT  DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR USE IN ANY HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENT REQUIR-
  ING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE OR OPERATION. THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT  FOR  USE
  IN THE OPERATION OF AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION, NUCLEAR FACILITIES, OR COMMU-
  NICATION SYSTEMS, WEAPONS SYSTEMS,  DIRECT  OR  INDIRECT  LIFE-SUPPORT
  SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, OR ANY APPLICATION OR INSTALLATION WHERE
  FAILURE COULD RESULT IN DEATH, SEVERE PHYSICAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAM-
  AGE.

  GOVERNMENT  RESTRICTED  RIGHTS/RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND. Use, duplica-
  tion, or disclosure by the Government is subject  to  restrictions  as
  set  forth  in subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data
  and Computer Software clause at DFARS  252.227-7013  or  subparagraphs
  (c)(1)  and  (2)  of  Commercial  Computer  Software-Restricted Rights
  clause at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable. Contact SOFTWIN SRL, at  5,
  F-ca  de Glucoza str., 72322-Sect.2, Bucharest, Romania, or at Tel No:
  40-21-2330780 or Fax:40-21-2330763.

  GENERAL. This Agreement will be governed by the laws of Romania and by
  the  international  copyright regulations and treaties. This Agreement
  may only be modified by a license  addendum,  which  accompanies  this
  Agreement  or by a written document which has been signed, by both you
  and SOFTWIN SRL. This Agreement has been written in the  English  lan-
  guage  only  and  is  not to be translated or interpreted in any other
  language. Prices, costs and fees for use of BitDefender are subject to
  change  without prior notice to you. In the event of invalidity of any
  provision of this Agreement,  the  invalidity  shall  not  affect  the
  validity of the remaining portions of this Agreement.

  BitDefender and BitDefender logos are trademarks of SOFTWIN SRL. Linux
  is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. All other trademarks  are
  the property of their respective owners.

--
 BitDefender - Secure Your Every Bit
 http://linux.bitdefender.com/