Add 2nd antivirus scanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:16:26 IST 2007

On 12/09/2007, Mail Administrator <mailadmin at baladia.gov.kw> wrote:

> > Mail Administrator spake the following on 9/11/2007 3:20 AM:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> I have the following below setup workin perfect for sometime
> >>
> >> Centos 5
> >> MailScanner-4.62.9-3
> >> Spam Assassin+Clamav--- jules package
> >> mailwatch
> >>
> >> i wanted to use the second antivurus scanner thats is bit defender since
> >> is free as of now
> >> so i downloaded it and installed it and  when i run mailScanner --lint i
> >> see the fiollowing
> >>
> >> --------------------------------
> >>
> >> Checking version numbers...
> >> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.62.9) is correct.
> >>
> >> Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
> >>
> >> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> >> SpamAssassin temp dir =
> >> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> >> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> >> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav bitdefender"
> >> Found these virus scanners installed: clamav
> >> ===========================================================================
> >> Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
> >> format error: can't find EOCD signature
> >>  at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 451
> >> cat: /tmp/log.bdc.7225: No such file or directory
> >> rm: cannot remove `/tmp/log.bdc.7225': No such file or directory
> >> ===========================================================================
> >> Virus Scanner test reports:
> >> ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"
> >>
> >> If any of your virus scanners (clamav)
> >> are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
> >> and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its
> >> virus.scanners.conf.
> >>
> >> ---------------------------
> >>
> >> also i modified the virusscanner.conf file
> >>
> >> original was
> >>
> >> bitdefender    /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper /opt/bdc
> >>
> >> modified to
> >>
> >> bitdefender    /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper
> >> /opt/BitDefender-scanner/bin/bdscan
> >>
> >> 2) also when i try to run bdscan
> >> it says
> >> trial key found 25 days remaining
> >>
> >> why is this message
> >>
> >> appreciate your help
> >>

> >> Thanks and regards
> >>
> >> benedict
> > You did not install the free version.
> >

> Thanks Scott..
>
> btw i did download the BitDefender antivirus from this location and
> installed it
>

> http://download.bitdefender.com/SMB/Workstation_Security_and_Management/BitDefender_Antivirus_Scanner_for_Unices/Unix/Current/EN/Version_7.x/Linux/
>
> apprecite if u could provide me the right link if im wrong
>
> thnkss once again
>
> regards
>
> benedict
Well Benedict, that's just it: As of a while back, there simply isn't
any "right link" to download from. Per definition, bdscanner cannot be
used free of charge in MailScanner (assuming I read the license
correctly).

But I do think there are very minor changes to actually support it (as
we should... after all, it is still a commercial scanner someone might
like to buy). In that sense, I don't think BD would have any
objections to us implementing that support (I think it'd be best to do
it like a separate scanner... bd75x ... or something similar. And no,
I haven't checked whether the existing functions would work with the
bdscanner as well as with bdc... Will have to get a separate life,
just to keep up with all the current work ... :-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn