Add 2nd antivirus scanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:02:04 IST 2007

On 11/09/2007, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/09/2007, Mail Administrator <mailadmin at baladia.gov.kw> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have the following below setup workin perfect for sometime
> >
> > Centos 5
> > MailScanner-4.62.9-3
> > Spam Assassin+Clamav--- jules package
> > mailwatch
> >
> > i wanted to use the second antivurus scanner thats is bit defender since
> > is free as of now
> > so i downloaded it and installed it and  when i run mailScanner --lint i
> > see the fiollowing
> >
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > Checking version numbers...
> > Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.62.9) is correct.
> >
> > Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
> >
> > Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> > SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> > SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> > MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav bitdefender"
> > Found these virus scanners installed: clamav
> > ===========================================================================
> > Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
> > format error: can't find EOCD signature
> >  at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 451
> > cat: /tmp/log.bdc.7225: No such file or directory
> > rm: cannot remove `/tmp/log.bdc.7225': No such file or directory
> > ===========================================================================
> > Virus Scanner test reports:
> > ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"
> >
> > If any of your virus scanners (clamav)
> > are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
> > and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.
> >
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > also i modified the virusscanner.conf file
> >
> > original was
> >
> > bitdefender    /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper /opt/bdc
> >
> > modified to
> >
> > bitdefender    /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper
> > /opt/BitDefender-scanner/bin/bdscan
>
> This is wrong. The previous setting is for BDC version 7.x where the
> BitDefender commandline get installed into /opt/bdc (meaning the
> scanner is at /opt/bdc/bin/bdc). Not sure you got the right package,
> not sure even the "right package" is right for the current
> implementation in MS... Will have to take a look on what they tote
> ATM. Am swamped with work, so ... don't hold your breath (perhaps
> someone else, like Jules, will have the time;-).

Ok, took a quick peek... Indeed the Bidefender-scanner (version 7.5)
package is a "free download", but unlike the
BitDefender-Antivirus-Console package (version 7.0, 7.1) this has a
more ... strict.... license. It is indeed free for private use, but
they do stipulate that if you intend to integrate it into your own
scanning system (they even mention "scripts"...) you need use a
commercial license.
The package is trial, until you fill out a form/receive a "private
use" license. It was all there in the EULA you just couldn't have
missed, during the install.

Apart from minor things, like renaming the binary and the install
directory, the most visible difference seems to be the conversion to
use "--" instead of "-" for the long options.

Installing this package on a system that has the BDC (version 7.0-7.1)
will _replace_ that package, at least when using RPM, so ... perhaps
not a good thing:-).

> > 2) also when i try to run bdscan
> > it says
> > trial key found 25 days remaining
> >
> > why is this message
>
> Because it isn't the free version you're using, it is a trial version...;-)
As said, this is really true in a way. Look at the FAQ they provide,
or the EULA, or even the  INSTALL file...:-).

> > appreciate your help
> >

> > Thanks and regards
> >
> > benedict

Cheers