Mailscanner or Postfix, which one wins for you and why?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:45:08 IST 2007

On 10/09/2007, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton at conacher.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a mailserver and workstation behind an IPCop firewall.
> I have been investigating MailScanner as it seems to allow far easier
> editing of the parts that make up a firewall.
>
> Given the number of IPCop addons that can allow an admin vast powers,
> although I haven't installed any yet as I am a GUI man, the question
> remains to all those IPCop users that have switched to MailScanner if it
> is better/easier to use update and configure than IPCop.
>
> I await the comments with interest.
>
> Regards
> Hylton

Eeerrrrr, what-do-you-mean????

MailScanner isn't in any way a replacement for an MTA (Postfix, as
alluded to in the subject), nor does it replace a firewall (like
IPCop)... What it does do is replace the often very rudimentary, in
most cases, mail handling capabilities of said firewall.
As I'm sure you've discovered, if you've been looking a bit at the
firewall market, most any firewall claim to be able to protect your
mailservers (simplistically one could say "MTA" here, but one would
probably mean a combination of MTA, MDA and mail store....) WRT
antivirus and anti-spam... None (or very few, at least... I don't
claim to have looked at _every_ firewall:-) come even close to the
accuracy, performance and ease of use MailScanner boasts. And then I
haven't mentioned the fact that few, if any, mail scanning products
can boast even a small part of the features MailScanner do.
So do keep your firewall, but use MailScanner, in conjuction with a
well-,aintained MTA, for your mail protection.

You might be thinking of DansGuardian perhaps? Where one use
MailScanner to do pretty much the same thing for normal "surf traffic"
as MailScanner do for mail...?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn