MailScanner + Zimbra...anyone done it before?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Sun Sep 9 14:33:13 IST 2007

James Gray wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions folks.  The consensus seems to be "run a
> separate box" but the problem is we have a number of people who work
> remotely and that would introduce a whole raft of new custom-hacks to
> get authenticated SMTP relaying going for the remote users via the
> separate box (assuming it becomes the "Internet-facing" part of the
> SMTP chain).  Then the remote users would (probably) need a different
> mail config when the venture into the office.  The way things stand at
> the moment the roaming users can use EXACTLY the same mail setup
> externally as those in the office without the need for VPN,  making
> the transition seamless (management LOVE that crap...personally, I
> don't care).  So long story short - it's gotta run on a single box
> with Zimbra being the MTA.  Not a big deal, I've already set Zimbra up
> with a couple of RBL's and MTA-level anti-spam measures and it's doing
> fine.

There *are* alternatives. One would be to have your inward-facing DNS
point to an internal (behind the firewall) IP address that belongs to
the Zimbra box, and outside the office port 25 gets forwarded to
MailScanner. Pros - no changes (if you have the same users & passwords
or authenticate against the same thing) to your clients. Cons - features
that require messages to be processed by MailScanner (archive messages =
comes to mind) will not work.

Another alternative would be to virtualize Zimbra inside a box running
MailScanner since you have such a "big" box. Stuff comes in to the
MailScanner instance in "the real world" and then gets stuffed inside
Zimbra in it's "virtual form". Zimbra can then use the resources (as you
point out in the next paragraph) of the "real world" (LDAP, MYSQL, etc.)
as if it were another server.