office 2007 files being treated as archives

Jason Ede j.ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 17:40:34 IST 2007

Julian,

Many thanks for this :-)

Jason
-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Julian Field
Sent: 06 September 2007 17:08
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: office 2007 files being treated as archives

Add a new line to filename.rules.conf (somewhere near the top) that says
this:
allow   \.xml\.rel$   -   -
Make sure the 4 "words" are separated with tab characters and not
spaces. This (along with its partner filetype.rules.conf) is the only
place where tab characters must be used, as the regular expression
matching the filename, and the reports (which are just "-" for an
"allow" rule) could also contain spaces.

Jason Ede wrote:
> I've noticed a problem when sending office 2007 files...
>
> For an attached excel worksheet for example... .xlsx Mailscanner seems to be treating this as an archive and complaining about double extensions. We can get round this by saving the file as a office 97-2003 file, but surely there must be a better way of doing it?
>
> This happens on the latest stable release btw...
>

> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (sheet1.xml.rel)
> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (workbook.xml.rel)
> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (sheet1.xml.rel)
> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (workbook.xml.rel)
> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (drawing1.xml.rel)
> MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (drawing1.xml.rel)
>
> Jason

> The information in this e-mail and any attachments is
> confidential. It is intended solely for the attention and
> use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended
> recipient, or person responsible for delivering this
> information to the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender or email postmaster at birchenallhowden.co.uk and
> delete it from your computer systems. Unless you are the
> intended recipient or his/her representative you are not
> authorised to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use
> or retain this message or any part of it. All messages
> are scanned by Mailscanner and are believed to be clean.
> Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks
> to any message on delivery. No liability is accepted by
> BirchenallHowden Ltd for any losses caused by viruses
> contracted during transit over the internet or present in
> any recieving system. BirchenallHowden Ltd, 53 Mowbray St,
> Sheffield S3 8EN.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP