block attachment per user

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Mon Sep 3 22:02:29 IST 2007

infolistas listas wrote:
> Ok last one how can I allow all types of attachments to be send only
> on my domain?

Depends. If by "my domain" you mean "anybody who *says* they come from
whatever at mydomain.com" then anybody can send anything anywhere as long
as they fake the "from:" address. This is easily done with a ruleset
that says:

From:   *@mydomain.com   whateveractionyouwanthere

It's safer if you can filter on something people can fake less easily,
like an IP address. Even more so if you can match more than one. For
example, I have some clients set up as:

From:   *@mydomain.com   and From:   192.168.   whateveractiontheyneed
From:   *@mydomain.com   and From:   127.   samethinghere

So that it only matches "@mydomain.com" if it comes from "within" the
network (this applies to VPN connections from the outside as well). That
way anything that comes in through an unrestricted network (unless sent
using the secured webmail service) has different (ie: tighter) restrictions.

One thing that would be nice to have (but difficult IMHO since it's more
of an MTA thing) would be to be able to apply rulesets on messages
depending on whether or not they are authenticated users.

The only way I could see that happening would be to do something like this:

1. Messages from non-authenticated users (for example, messages from the
outside coming towards our domain) come in through one sendmail process
on port 25 and wind up on a queue in /var/spool/mqueue.in for processing
as usual
2. Messages from authenticated users enter through the same process on a
different queue (don't know how I would be able to do that) or a
different process listening on another port or IP address, and get
processed by a different copy of MailScanner or some sort of ruleset.

While I'm sure I could probably create some sort of Rube Goldberg
solution, it would be interesting to know what the enlightened minds
that frequent this list might think. I'm sure they could throw in a few
ideas...