Error after postfix upgrade

Rick Emery remeryspam at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 15:24:33 GMT 2007

Quoting Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>:

> Upgrade your MailScanner (I'll be releasing a new version tomorrow
> morning, so wait until then). This code is commented out in the latest
> version, it has been re-implemented differently.

Here's the (admittedly stupid) thing I did to get email working again.

I downloaded the latest version of MailScanner and compared the
Postfix.pm file.  There's a comment there that specifically addresses
this situation, so I checked the other differences and decided to just
copy the new Postfix.pm file over the old one. Mail is working, though
I get some different errors that I've worked around.

I was trying to stay within Ubuntu's package management. I knew I
wouldn't have the latest and greatest code, but I at least thought
they wouldn't upgrade a package without upgrading other related
packages (or at least keeping them compatible). Obviously, I was wrong.

The "right" thing to do would probably be to remove the MailScanner
package and install from the latest tarball from the MailScanner site,
but I had really hoped to stick with the distribution's package
manager :-(

Thanks, everybody, for the tips.

Rick