Shared Mailqueue

Alexander Zenger azen at izb.net
Thu Oct 25 09:55:41 IST 2007

Hi,

i've an question on how to implement our now mailgateways.
The should be 3 gateways which
freebsd+postfix+mailscanner+clamav+postgrey+spamassasin.

This works already good for us, but we want to improve something
when we implement the new infrastructur.

At the moment this looks so:

1. mail comes in one of the 3 mailer
2. mail goes in hold queue and mailscanner is scanning
3. mailscanner puts the mail in the out queue of postfix
4. postfix delivers the scanned message

The main problem at the moment is that if 1 machine fails,
the mails hang around and were deferred.
So i need a possibility to have access to all mails from all machines.

One of the idea i have is the following:

1. mail comes in one of the 3 mailer
2. mail goes to the in queue of postfix which is shared over all mailers
3. mailscanner picks some mails out and move them to his working dir
4. mailscanner puts the scanned mails in the out queue of postfix
5. postfix delivers the scanned message

In my first test this failed, because mailscanner doesn't moved the
mails and than the mails were doubled.

Has anybody an idea on how to fix this or other ideas how this could
work?

thx in advance

greetz
alex

p.s.: mail queus are shared over nfs, working dir of mailscanner is
localdiks/tmpfs