Performance on 64 bit Linux vs 32 Bit

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 23 17:20:02 IST 2007

on 10/23/2007 1:45 AM Glenn Steen spake the following:
> On 23/10/2007, ram <ram at netcore.co.in> wrote:
>> I have been using MailScanner on 32 bit centos for quiet some time now
>> on the ~25 Antispam servers which we have ( MailScanner + Postfix +
>> Spamassassin + Custom spam engine )
>>
>> Now I was trying to evaluate  64 bit Linux. Would Mailscanner perform
>> any better on 64 bit linux. I personally have no first-hand experience
>> of 64 bit linux, I thought of doing some research before I upgrade
>>
> Perhaps not that much difference. For very large memory apps, it'd
> make a world of difference (RDBMS-type things), but MS likely won't
> benefit from this. Also take into account that most commercial
> AV-scanners aren't 64-bit, so ... will have to run in 32-bit... with a
> "slight" overhead.
> That said, there have been discussions about this a few years back
> (IIRC)... MS will run OK on Opterons and Intel x86-64 offerings. Do
> look in the archives, it was a while back, and my memory of that
> particular discussion is ... pretty vague:-).
>
> Cheers
I'm running on 32 and 64 bit linux and don't see that much difference. But a
64 bit kernel seems to run somewhat faster on memory over 4 gigs than a PAE
kernel. I will soon be relegating the old 32 bit server to a backup target in
the next few weeks, but only because of its age and speed.
"A good piece of hardware is a terrible thing to waste!"

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and