OT: dot org domain resolution

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon Oct 22 21:37:43 IST 2007

DAve wrote:
> This is the fastest response ML I am on, so I will bug you guys ;^)
>
> Currently we have some dot org domains as clients who now have no A or
> MX records cached locally so they cannot see their own websites, and are
> having mail issues as well. After much checking, and testing, and server
> log reviewing, we discovered this.
>
> Go to dnsstuff.org and run a ALL query on *any* dot org domain.
> Eventually the root server will refer to TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET, and nothing
> but NS records are returned. If the root server refers to
> AFILIAS-NST.org you get all records. We see this reslt for our client's
> domains as well openoffice.org, slashdot.org, freebsd.org.

What is the bad things here? Are the root servers not supposed to hand
out only NS records for the next level? They should not be used as
global resolvers.

My guess is that you got a local DNS issue to resolv here.

So where do I find anything ORG. like? Let us just ask localy:

$ dig org. any
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;org.                           IN      ANY
;; ANSWER SECTION:
org.                    83204   IN      NS      tld1.ultradns.net.
org.                    83204   IN      NS      tld2.ultradns.net.
org.                    83204   IN      NS      a0.org.afilias-nst.info.
org.                    83204   IN      NS      b0.org.afilias-nst.org.
org.                    83204   IN      NS      c0.org.afilias-nst.info.
org.                    83204   IN      NS      d0.org.afilias-nst.org.

Now where can I find anything VANDERKOOIJ.ORG. like? Let us ask
tld1.ultradns.net. for this:

$ dig vanderkooij.org. any @tld1.ultradns.net.
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;vanderkooij.org.               IN      ANY
;; ANSWER SECTION:
vanderkooij.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns5.mydyndns.org.
vanderkooij.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns4.mydyndns.org.
vanderkooij.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns3.mydyndns.org.
vanderkooij.org.        86400   IN      NS      ns2.mydyndns.org.
vanderkooij.org.        86400   IN      NS      hvdkooij.xs4all.nl.

Sounds to me like the way DNS is supposed to work.

> I called ultradns and they didn't seem too concerned, but said they
> would look into it.
>
> Am I crazy?

You might. But it does not nescessarily have any bearing on the question
at hand ;-)

Hugo.

- --