Weird Problem with MailScanner

Jonas A. Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Mon Oct 22 19:37:00 IST 2007

> > So the filtering, in my opinion should be done only in the MailScanner
> server, the thing is that I want to know which is your recommendation to
> build the filtering on sendmail and if there can be a solution with the
> MS Exchange filtering, perhaps I misunderstood the documentation.
>
> You need to verify recipient addresses on the Exchange server. If you
> can make sure that Exchange will not accept dummy address on SMTP
> sessions you can use this to make sure you do not accept them on your
> sendmail server either. I can't quote the exact syntax for sendmail or
> the knob on the Exchange screens as I use neither.

I use MS with exim which forwards to various exchange servers via smtp. I
activate the recipient filter in exchange, so it only accept mail for
recipients that actually exist. I then make exim do what it calls "callouts"
meaning it connects via smtp to the exchange server when ever somebody tries
to send mail to that site, it then checks if the recipient exists, if not it
rejects the mail.

I don't know how you do it in sendmail, but im sure it's possible. Atleast
it's the best way to make sure u only scan mail for real recipients.

Just my 5 cents.

Jonas Larsen