MailScanner processing email properly but is not delivering to outgoing queue

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:46:15 IST 2007

On 19/10/2007, Dave Jones <davejones70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a working setup of MailScanner with MailWatch that I just upgraded
> from 4.6.3 to the latest version.  Sendmail mailertable is setup to forward
> email properly to the final email server which happens to be Exchange.  I
> have manually tested creating an email from the MailScanner server to the
> Exchange server and it works fine.  The mailq command shows that the
> outbound mail queue is emtpy.  It appears that the outbound email is not
> getting put in the /var/spool/mqueue directory like it should be.  The
> MailScanner.conf has correct "Queue Dir" settings and the directories exist
> with normal permissions.  The mailertable files has not been changed before
> the upgrade when email was flowing properly.
>
> /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> ============================
> Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in
> Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue
>
> /etc/mail/mailertaible
> =================
> domain.com smtp:[ 192.168.1.2]
>
> # mailq
> /var/spool/mqueue is empty
>                   Total requests: 0
>
> How do I debug MailScanner's last steps which I guess should be putting the
> delivered email into the /var/spool/mqueue directory?  I tried "Debug = yes"
> mode but it didn't output anything useful.

With the latest MailScanner, you no longer have to set Debug in the
config file, you can use the command instead... Just stop MailScanner
(and sendmail), and ... assuming an mqueue.in full of messages... then
run "MailScanner --debug" ... and perhaps also att in --debug-sa ...
Another nifty thing is to run the configuration suyntax checker:
MailScanner --lint
... You don't have to stop MailScanner to run that one.

You did remember to run the upgrade scripts?

> Also, the outbound email from the Exchange server to the Internet through
> MailScanner is doing the same thing.  It logs to MailWatch but never makes
> it to the outbound queue.

If it logs to MailWatch... well, that is pretty much the last thing
that happens... Check once more that the permissions are OK on the
directories... Something strange is happening here. Nit sure that the
debug run will show anything this "late"...:-)

What does the log say about a typical message (if you post a snippet,
please include a few lines before/after)?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn