building on Red Hat EL v 5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 17 15:54:21 IST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:32 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Craig White wrote on Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:30:11 -0700:
>
> > apparently new mailscanner is forcing the install of these items...
>
> It's been doing this since long. Just install the mailscanner.rpm by it's
> own with --nodeps and nothing else. I've asked several times to just
> provide the mailscanner.rpm for updates alternatively for those people who
> do not want to force all this stuff on their PCs, but Jules doesn't
> listen. There's really no reason that this stuff should get forced on most
> Linux distributions. Also, version-specific dependencies are not
> necessary.
----
that seems to not comport with my understanding as I think it's pretty
clear that Jules listens.

As for mailscanner only, the noarch source rpm is in the tarball and you
could simply build that by itself and not execute install.sh so that is
clearly a choice that one makes. I don't do things like --nodeps for
obvious reasons.

I was trying to feed back to Jules that the forced install of
perl-Test-Simple and perl-MIME-Base64 are not only unnecessary on RHEL
v5 (and clone OS's) but really need to be removed after installation of
MailScanner because they are forced and create a maintenance headache.

Craig