MailScanner Broke on both Fedora Core 6 & 7

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 4 22:15:23 IST 2007

on 10/4/2007 1:43 PM Julian Field spake the following:
> I've just fixed his system. You wouldn't have found it in a hurry, and
> it wasn't remotely related to Perl.
Julian, you are the greatest!

> Something in his sendmail.cf was making it ignore the
> -ODeliveryMode=queueonly command line switch to sendmail, causing it to
> immediately deliver all mail sent in. And yes, I know how to stop and
> start sendmail thoroughly so don't even go there. I've never seen
> anything like it. I upgraded his sendmail and sendmail-cf rpms, touched
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf from it with 'cd /etc/mail
> && make'. Lo and behold, sendmail started behaving itself again.
>
> I've never seen anything like it. It's taken me the best part of an hour
> to find it. That's £200 or $400 at my usual rates, but it was an
Boy do I feel underpaid! I usually do off hours work for the $150(£75) range.
But I do a lot of stuff for very poor non-profits like churches, and donate a
lot of the time gratis.
I think I am going to get into this MailScanner support business.  The jokes
will still be free... But you get what you pay for! ;-P Glenn will probably
say I am still overcharging at free...

> interesting problem so I've just asked him for some stuff off my wish
> list instead :-)
>
> I watched the sendmail command line go past (added a set -x to
> /etc/init.d/MailScanner so I could check it) and upped the LogLevel to
> 14 so I could get it to log its own command line, and all the switches
> were there completely as normal. It was just choosing to ignore the
> queueonly instruction completely! Upgraded sendmail and sendmail-cf,
> rebuild .cf and it started working normally. Nothing else wrong. Weird...
>
> Jules.
I had a problem like this back in the RedHat 7.3 days. I think it was back
when RedHat changed from keeping mail config files in /etc and then moved them
to /etc/mail. It could be as far back as RH 6.0. Either way, it borked real bad.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and