MailScanner Broke on both Fedora Core 6 & 7

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Oct 4 22:02:08 IST 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Vernon Webb wrote:

> Perl was broken on 6 for sure, not so sure about 7 as MailScanner won't even install on that system and me being an idiot I decided to uninstall perl which really
> messed me up. But I did manage to get that back installed but still nothing. Next I decided to upgrade the system to 7 which really messed me up as the one system
> is now off line. How do I correct the perl situation?

Right. You are in a tight spot. If these systems are important you have
several options in my view:

  1. Cut your losses as they are now and reinstall the OS fom scratch.
 	A basic install will take less then an hour and with another hour
 	you should also have all the requirements and the update in place.
 	I have included a current RPM list what I needed to get Centos 5
 	work with the latest stabel MailScanner. I only needed rpmforge
 	added and except for MS itself I only needed yum install ...

  2. Try to salvage the current setup by removing everything from the perl
     stuff and install all of it a new.
 	Frankly. I am not sure if it works but it might get you back in
 	business in an hour. Or it may not work at all.

  3. Try to describe the problem so someone might give you hints.
 	At present you are not showing things like error messages or
 	things that do or do not work there is no way to provide any help
 	in salvaging anything. No one here knows your system, what you
 	might have installed on it and in which way.

By now there is no simple magic trick to make it all work. You have been
strugling with this for hours.

The list of perl RPM packages I have on Centos 5. You may not need them
all for MailScanner:

perl-5.8.8-10
perl-Archive-Tar-1.32-1.el5.rf
perl-Archive-Zip-1.20-1.el5.rf
perl-BerkeleyDB-0.31-1.el5.rf
perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.005-1.el5.rf
perl-Compress-Zlib-2.005-1.el5.rf
perl-Convert-BinHex-1.119-2.2.el5.rf
perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-3.2.el5.rf
perl-Convert-UUlib-1.051-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Crypt-DES-2.05-3.2.el5.rf
perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA-0.25-1.el5.rf
perl-Crypt-PasswdMD5-1.3-1.2.el5.rf
perl-DateManip-5.44-1.2.1
perl-DBD-MySQL-3.0007-1.fc6
perl-DBD-SQLite-1.13-1.el5.rf
perl-DBI-1.58-2.el5.rf
perl-Digest-HMAC-1.01-15
perl-Digest-SHA1-2.11-1.2.1
perl-Digest-SHA-5.44-1.el5.rf
perl-Encode-Detect-1.00-1.el5.rf
perl-Error-0.17008-2.el5.rf
perl-Filesys-Df-0.92-1.el5.rf
perl-Filesys-DiskFree-0.06-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Filesys-DiskSpace-0.05-1.2.el5.rf
perl-File-Tail-0.99.3-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Geography-Countries-1.4-2.2.el5.rf
perl-Geo-IP-1.27-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Geo-IPfree-0.2-1.2.el5.rf
perl-HTML-Parser-3.55-1.fc6
perl-HTML-Tagset-3.10-2.1.1
perl-Inline-0.44-1.el5.rf
perl-IO-Compress-Base-2.005-1.el5.rf
perl-IO-Compress-Zlib-2.005-1.el5.rf
perl-IO-Interface-1.03-1.el5.rf
perl-IO-Multiplex-1.08-3.el5.rf
perl-IO-Socket-INET6-2.51-2.fc6
perl-IO-Socket-SSL-1.07-2.el5.rf
perl-IO-stringy-2.110-1.2.el5.rf
perl-IO-Zlib-1.05-1.el5.rf
perl-IP-Country-2.23-1.el5.rf
perl-libwww-perl-5.805-1.1.1
perl-Mail-ClamAV-0.20-1.el5.rf
perl-Mail-DKIM-0.26-1.el5.rf
perl-Mail-DomainKeys-1.0-1.el5.rf
perl-Mail-SPF-2.005-1.el5.rf
perl-MailTools-1.77-1.el5.rf
perl-MIME-tools-5.420-2.el5.rf
perl-NetAddr-IP-4.007-1.el5.rf
perl-Net-CIDR-0.11-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Net-CIDR-Lite-0.20-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Net-Daemon-0.43-1.el5.rf
perl-Net-DNS-0.61-1.el5.rf
perl-Net-Ident-1.20-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Net-IP-1.25-2.fc6
perl-Net-Pcap-0.12-1.el5.rf
perl-Net-Server-0.97-1.el5.rf
perl-Net-SSLeay-1.30-4.fc6
perl-Net-XWhois-0.90-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Parse-Syslog-1.09-1.el5.rf
perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-1.el5.rf
perl-PlRPC-0.2020-1.el5.rf
perl-Razor-Agent-2.84-1.el5.rf
perl-rrdtool-1.2.23-1.el5.rf
perl-Socket6-0.19-3.fc6
perl-String-Approx-3.26-1.el5.rf
perl-String-CRC32-1.4-2.fc6
perl-Sys-Hostname-Long-1.4-1.2.el5.rf
perl-TimeDate-1.16-1.2.el5.rf
perl-Unix-Syslog-0.100-1.2.el5.rf
perl-URI-1.35-3
perl-version-0.72.3-1.el5.rf
perl-XML-Dumper-0.81-2.fc6
perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-26
perl-XML-Parser-2.34-6.1.2.2.1

The repositories I use:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2371 Apr  8 21:22 CentOS-Base.repo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  622 Apr  8 21:22 CentOS-Media.repo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  428 Mar  8  2007 rpmforge.repo

Add AV stuff and MailScanner and you could be back in business. I guess
the list should be similar for Fedora Core 6 or Fedora 7 if you still wish
to use it. Just make sure you only use the repository for the system in
question. Do NOT put Fedora 7 stuff on Fedora Core 6 or the other way
around unless you want to risk a similar nightmare.

And for pity sake try to avoid using CPAN ton install anything for perl
unless you want to relive the nightmare with a future upgrade.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)