MailScanner Broke on both Fedora Core 6 & 7

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 21:43:10 IST 2007

I've just fixed his system. You wouldn't have found it in a hurry, and
it wasn't remotely related to Perl.

Something in his sendmail.cf was making it ignore the
-ODeliveryMode=queueonly command line switch to sendmail, causing it to
immediately deliver all mail sent in. And yes, I know how to stop and
start sendmail thoroughly so don't even go there. I've never seen
anything like it. I upgraded his sendmail and sendmail-cf rpms, touched
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf from it with 'cd /etc/mail
&& make'. Lo and behold, sendmail started behaving itself again.

I've never seen anything like it. It's taken me the best part of an hour
to find it. That's £200 or $400 at my usual rates, but it was an
interesting problem so I've just asked him for some stuff off my wish
list instead :-)

I watched the sendmail command line go past (added a set -x to
/etc/init.d/MailScanner so I could check it) and upped the LogLevel to
14 so I could get it to log its own command line, and all the switches
were there completely as normal. It was just choosing to ignore the
queueonly instruction completely! Upgraded sendmail and sendmail-cf,
rebuild .cf and it started working normally. Nothing else wrong. Weird...

Jules.

Jason Ede wrote:

> How did you uninstall and reinstall perl? If you did this with yum,
> then you’ll probably need to check the requirements of MailScanner to
> check that everything needed is installed again as a lot of things
> depend on perl. Then take a look at the perl modules inside the
> mailscanner install and install as many as you can with yum, before
> running the MailScanner install script.
>
> What errors do you get when you try starting MailScanner or won’t it
> even install?
>
> Jason

Jules

--