Fw: Error Starting MailScanner

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed Oct 3 19:47:08 IST 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Vernon Webb wrote:

> OK, I have some more info. When I installed MailScanner it told me the following:
>
>       You appear to have 2 versions of Perl installed,
>       the normal one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local.
>       This often happens if you have used CPAN to install modules.
>       I strongly advise you remove all traces of perl from
>       within /usr/local and then run this script again.
>
>       If you do not want to do that, and really want to continue,
>       then you will need to run this script as
>               ./install.sh ignore-perl
>
> I had no idea what to do so I told it to ignore this. Any idea how I locate this other Perl and remove it?

Pardon me. But the answer is in the quote. Clear out your perl stuff from
the /usr/local tree. If that is too hard to do then perhaps you should ask
an administrator to do this for you. But in that case I also suggest you
do not install software on the system but let an admin do this for you.

Unfortunatly there is not a more nice way to say this but I recommend you
do not excercise root priviliges untill you have learned to master them.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)