Fw: Error Starting MailScanner

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 19:44:35 IST 2007

You need to decide which version of perl you want to keep.
By default, MailScanner will use /usr/bin/perl.
However, if the other one (/usr/local/bin/perl) is earlier in your
$PATH, then some of the installation might have gone into that one and
not /usr/bin/perl.

I would advise scrapping /usr/local/bin/perl and /usr/local/lib/perl5
and anything else in /usr/local that looks like perl and re-installing
MailScanner into your system, so that it will all go in /usr/bin/perl.

You can find perly things in /usr/local like this:
find /usr/local -name '*perl*' -print

Vernon Webb wrote:

> OK, I have some more info. When I installed MailScanner it told me the
> following:
>
>     You appear to have 2 versions of Perl installed,
>     the normal one in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local.
>     This often happens if you have used CPAN to install modules.
>     I strongly advise you remove all traces of perl from
>     within /usr/local and then run this script again.
>
>     If you do not want to do that, and really want to continue,
>     then you will need to run this script as
>             ./install.sh ignore-perl
>
> I had no idea what to do so I told it to ignore this. Any idea how I
> locate this other Perl and remove it?
>
> Thanks

Jules

--