Domain used for spam - NDR responses

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 08:19:37 IST 2007

[snip]
>> Rgs,
>> Jeff
>Milter null is supposed to help, but I haven't used it.
>
>But you should be dropping non-existent users at the first point of
>entry to your system, either the mail server, or the gateway if you
>use one. The connections get dropped as soon as they give a
non-existent
>user address.

That is the obvious and common solution.

Do as Scott suggests for the domains over which you have control. If
your MTA is Sendmail you can use milter-ahead (same vendor as for
milter-null) for the domains to which you merely act as a gateway/relay.
This latter approach of course assumes that the recipient MTAs to which
you are relaying reject non-existent addresses as your own does.

If they don't that is not your problem! The recipient MTA has accepted
responsibility for the messages with invalid addresses in its domain(s)
that you relayed to it. The messages are no longer in your queues!

Quentin