Domain used for spam - NDR responses

Rob Sterenborg R.Sterenborg at netsourcing.nl
Wed Oct 3 06:26:44 IST 2007

>> Milter null is supposed to help, but I haven't used it.
>> But you should be dropping non-existent users at the first
>> point of entry to your system, either the mail server, or the
>> gateway if you use one. The connections get dropped as soon
>> as they give a non-existent user address.
>
> I'm aware of this, and I do it here on my work system using a
> script to pull valid email addresses from Active Directory.
> However, the other system I admin looks after multiple remote domains,
> so it is not an option to use recipient maps.

What MTA?

I know that Postfix can do recipient address verification (just like
sender address verification that some despise), if the final receiving
MTA rejects non-existing recipients. Perhaps you can use this, in which
case you don't need relay recipient maps.
Of course you'll have the penalty of some extra network traffic between
the relay and the final MTA's.

Grts,
Rob