What causes this type of address in envelopes?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Oct 1 22:56:48 IST 2007

Steve Campbell wrote:

> Matt Kettler wrote:
>> Steve Campbell wrote:

> Wow, that's some thick reading.
>
> So, if this is what they are using, then a simple "reply" to one sent to
> one of my users should work, unless the sender has their expiry timeout
> way too short?

This has nothing to do with replies, only error messages like bounces that have
a null return path (<>).

Replies are sent To: the From: or Reply-To: of the original message and have
your email address in the Envelope From.

Errors, bounces, DSNs, etc are sent To: the Envelope From of the original
message, but themselves have a null Envelope From (ie: email address <>).

So, if a message comes in for the "plain" email address, if it's got a non-empty
return path, it's accepted.

It will only be dropped if it has a null Envelope From, as all such messages
should be using the tagged address from the envelope, not the plain one in the
From:.