Weird phishing attempt

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Nov 30 16:58:34 GMT 2007

Denis Beauchemin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just received the attached email. No HTML, no image, just plain
> text. Funny thing is I don't know anything about them...
>
> I looked on their web site (
> http://www.sunwestfcu.org/site/contact_locations.html#phone ) and
> couldn't find the toll-free phone number. Could someone have hacked
> into someone else's PBX and used it for phishing?
>
> It's the first time I see something like this!
>
> Denis

Do you have an account with them?  If not, blow it off as just more
spam.  If you do, I'd contact them using the number printed on your
monthly statement.

I'd expect that it's probably a social engineering scam - you call the
number thinking you're getting them, they ask your account number, etc.
and presto, your life savings are now in some bank in Russia.

Either that or it's a toll number where they put you on hold for eons,
then charge you for the privledge of listening to bad evalator music...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500