Server stats script

R Wahyudi rwahyudi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:12:26 GMT 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 11/28/2007 12:43 PM Ugo Bellavance spake the following:
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> Does anybody have a decent mail server stats script (sendmail) that
>>> shows a daily output of things like;
>>> rbl rejections by list
>>>
>>> greetpause and other sendmail related anti-spam data like connection
>>> throttling
>>>
>>> total connection attempts
>>>
>>> other useful data that I will think of as soon as I hit send  ;-P
>>>

>> Have you tried the latest version of logwatch?
>>
>> Ugo
>>
> The latest stable, yes, but maybe I need to turn up the reporting level.

Im not so good with numbers and graphs turn me on
I also think graphing make it easier to visualize what actually happen
with your email system instead of
looking at bunch of text & numbers.

I am  using following combination of following software to create my
graph :
- nrpe
- nagios
- n2rrd
- cacti
- modified updatemailstats.pl ( available from
http://taz.net.au/postfix/mrtg/)

How I set it up :
- Nagios does monitoring and at the same time it collect performance
data. So basically it combine 2 jobs into one : monitoring & reporting.
- n2rrd convert the performance data and convert it to rrd which can be
used by cacti
- cacti provide web interface for graph management which allows you to
easily zoom in and out of the graph, go to specific dates etc ...

Graph sample :
SMTP connect vs Reject :
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5412/vscan4smtpwu4.png
Rejected message at SMTP level :
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/309/vscan4blockedru9.png
Accepted Message :
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7687/vscan4acceptedji0.png
Postfix Queue Level :
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5902/vscan4queuepb1.png

I have more graph but currently too lazy to upload.  You can modify
updatemailstats.pl quite easily to suit sendmail.
Another useful reporting tool that I use is splunk ( splunk.com ) &
mailwatch for mailscanner ( http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/doku.php ) .
The latest version of splunk allow you to search logs easily and you can
create graph with ease.

Regards,
Rianto Wahyudi

-- adela tirta belek