Install Question

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Wed Nov 28 21:00:55 GMT 2007

Sorry everyone :)
Fat fingers.
jlc

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Joseph L. Casale
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:42 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: RE: Install Question

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew at farwestbilliards.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:18 PM
To: debian-user at lists.debian.org

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:33:18PM -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> If a controller manufacturer makes drivers for your OS, but the OS doesn't have them natively, how does one install Debian on to this controller as the boot device?

to answer this very generic question... there are many ways but they all eventually devolve down to getting a ((kernel with the drivers compiled in *or* a kernel/initrd image with the appropriate modules)
*and* a boot loader that can read the right disk).

Invariably this will involve some bit of hackery either in the installer itself, or in installing to some other disk and then migrating over.

hth in some way.

Andrew,
That was what I was kind of after. So it's not straight forward then :)
I assume a kernel w/ drivers compiled in is going to be faster than one without and having a module loaded? How does one choose a new kernel (say one I compiled in a vm on esx for the sake of ease with my new driver) during a fresh install?

Thanks!
jlc