MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 14:52:51 GMT 2007

Phil

It appears to work here. I get a different result to you:

[root at cheviot4 MailScanner]# MailScanner --lint
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.65.3) is correct.

Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule mcafee"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, mcafee
Virus Scanner test reports:
ClamAVModule said "eicar.com was infected: Eicar-Test-Signature"
McAfee said "/1/eicar.com        Found: EICAR test file NOT a virus."

If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule,mcafee)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.
[root at cheviot4 MailScanner]#

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           Newcastle University,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.