Mail queue is about an hour behind

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Nov 27 18:35:16 GMT 2007

Jody Cleveland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been noticing mail being slow, and looked into it more, and it seems to
> be about an hour delay. I watch my postfix queue, and it grows faster than
> MailScanner can keep up with.
>
> Following the advice of an earlier thread, I ran MailScanner --debug, and
> this is what I get:
>
> # MailScanner --debug
> In Debugging mode, not forking...
> SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1087.
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1089.
> max message size is '100000'
> max message size is '100000'
> max message size is '100000'
> max message size is '100000'
> max message size is '100000'
> max message size is '30000'
> max message size is '30000'
> max message size is '30000'
> max message size is '30000'
> Stopping now as you are debugging me.
>
> Any ideas what the problem is?

1) run MailScanner *and* SpamAssassin in debug mode as it will give you
more clues than just the above output (MailScanner --debug --debug-sa).

Look for timeouts in Razor/Pyzor/DCC/RBL/URIBLs and Bayes.

2) I would guess from the above output that you are using MCP? - if so,
consider moving all your MCP rules into the main SpamAssassin run
instead as MCP really is a performance killer as MailScanner has to
reload SpamAssassin for each message (slow...)

3) Check your primary nameserver listed in /etc/resolv.conf and make
sure the 1st server in the list is responding quickly (and consider
using a local caching nameserver if you aren't already).

4) Make sure that you haven't been blocked by Spamhaus - run:

host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

And make sure you don't get a timeout.

That should get you started.

Cheers,