Set it and forget it?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Mon Nov 26 19:31:23 GMT 2007

Steve Campbell wrote:
> It's just frustrating to put that concentrated effort, no matter how
> little or large amount of time it may be, to keep getting the "what's
> wrong with our mail system" attitude. This is a daily newspaper, and
> people expect immediate resolution for any mail problem. Funny, how
> it's so different, when I ask a reporter why a story I just heard
> about on the radio isn't in the current newspaper edition.

What I usually do when I encounter a user like that is send them a
screen shot from MailWatch showing the stats on mail received and mail
filtered.  Then I explain to them that I additionally reject
substantially more than that at the MTA level which never makes it into
the MailWatch stats.  When they see that we filtered out thousands of
spams a day they usually quit whining about the one or two they may have
gotten.

I'd love to turn the filters off for just one day.  Just one.  Just to
let the users know what we actually do for them.  I'd like to win the
lottery too.  Not holding my breath on either...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500